Wednesday, April 6, 2016

Sweet Home Alabama


TripPix.

We were on the road before 6:00 a.m. Sunday and spent the morning in Florida. We entered the Central time zone and crossed into Alabama almost concurrently. The Welcome Center is knew, and Bob noted right away that the parking area is badly designed, but I thought the entire area was just fine. Until we went through Alabama a month ago, I thought Sweet Home Alabama was the name of a movie. I didn’t realize it’s a phrase used everywhere at taken seriously by everyone. Unfortunately, the photo I took of the Sweet Home Alabama sign was ruined by my thumb print.

My first – and ongoing – impression is that the people are so courteous. The ladies behind the counter in the Welcome Center put me and my sometimes fake Minnesota Nice personality to shame. They greeted me warmly with what seemed like the utmost sincerity.
Later on, a little boy of about five held the door for me and another child at a gas station greeted me with a sweet “Hello Ma’am”. I think I need to work on my manners, and I know I'd like to return to Alabama for a real visit sometime.
We drove into the parking lot at the Comfort Inn in Decatur, Alabama shortly before 5:00 p.m. I’m ashamed to admit that somewhere along the way I’ve become a fussy snob. The hotel was perfectly fine, and for $65 (with a coupon I got at the Welcome Center), it was a bargain. After all, we were at the hotel for only a couple of hours, but I ungratefully think we should have held out for something a little more upscale.
I’ve stayed in my share of real dumps, and this place was a palace compared to many of them. I kicked up my feet to watch a little TV and slept like a (good) baby. The next morning's breakfast was excellent and we were on the road by 8:00 a.m.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
The first blog was a simple travel journal written during an Alaskan cruise in 2008. I document all of our trips, and refer to my posts fairly frequently, especially when we're planning a return visit to a destination. I enjoy recording events in both words and pictures -- blogging is one more way of staying in touch with family and friends in this wonderful, connected world. I've been retired since April of 2013, and there's no shortage of things to do or activities to enjoy. I enjoy writing about everything ... and nothing.