Saturday, April 2, 2016

Eye Opener

TripPix.

On Wednesday afternoon when we were at Bubba Gump's for lunch, Bob's sunglasses fell apart. Bob dropped the lens and loose screw into one of the baggies I carry in my purse. The first hit on my "optician St. Pete Beach" Google query was Modern Optics on Corey Avenue, only a mile or so from our condo.

The next morning, a few hours into a warm, bright Florida day, we parked on Corey and Bob went into the store to have the screw tightened. Meanwhile, I took a few pictures on this interesting street and did a little window shopping. After ten minutes or so, I finally decided to check on him. I found him at the counter looking at frames. There was no charge for the screw repair.

Modern Optics serves a clientele from all over the country. I was immediately drawn into the discussion and started trying on frames, surprised that I looked great in a large pair of rectangular sunglasses, very different from the round red ones I wear now. The optician -- very knowledgeagle and a great marketer too --  gave me about a dozen pairs to experiment with, all of them wide enough for my broad face. Some glasses had flexible plastic bows, and almost all frames were available in a wide selection of colors and patterns. I was almost prepared to buy a pair on the spot.

We're very happy with our eyewear provider but we learned that our frames are discontinued models, one explanation for the low price we paid. I also discovered that larger "everyday" glasses look better on me than the narrow ones I wear now, and I know that the no-line bifocal would be better in one of the frames I tried on. And why wouldn't I wear a more "daring" frame now that I'm retired? I certainly don't have to project a "conservative" or "serious" image.

One more useful snippet of information: prescription swim goggles don't have to be out of reach either. I always thought they would be prohibitively expensive but that's not the case. I quickly found several websites with online ordering.

We wondered if a similar provider exists in the Twin Cities, and found several possible candidates, including the Spectacle Shoppe in Minneapolis. Because of our visit, we're thinking differently about future eyewear purchases now.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
The first blog was a simple travel journal written during an Alaskan cruise in 2008. I document all of our trips, and refer to my posts fairly frequently, especially when we're planning a return visit to a destination. I enjoy recording events in both words and pictures -- blogging is one more way of staying in touch with family and friends in this wonderful, connected world. I've been retired since April of 2013, and there's no shortage of things to do or activities to enjoy. I enjoy writing about everything ... and nothing.