Saturday, March 19, 2016

Destination Dali, St. Petersburg

Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea
TripPix.

Yesterday was a perfect time to visit the famous Dali Museum in St. Petersburg. A cool breeze from Tampa Bay wafted through the gardens and it was almost difficult to go inside for the day. No need to be concerned, though, because the beautiful beach neighborhood is visible from the geodesic dome in this unique building.


I always thought Dali was a little too crazy for my taste, but I discovered that Dali pursued some of my own obsessions (and more) with such brilliance that I was totally drawn into his surrealistic universe. The permanent collection is excellent, the best in the world, I think. Dali himself attended the opening of the museum in 1982.

One painting that attracts a lot of interest is Gala Contemplating the Mediterranean Sea. At 20 meters the picture of the artist's wife becomes a portrait of Lincoln. I didn't see Lincoln until I looked at the small picture on my camera, but Bob got a clear picture by squinting.


Mirror, mirror on the wall ...

I hadn't known about his relationship with Walt Disney until yesterday. In fact, Disney wrote a fan letter to Dali after he saw one his animators reading The Secret Life of Salvador DalĂ­. In 1945, Disney and Dali began collaborating on the production of the animated film Destino, finally completed in 2003 by Walt Disney's nephew Roy, who had discovered the project while working on Fantasia 2000. The exhibit Disney and Dali: Architects of the Imagination is so interesting and entertaining that I can't wait to look at offerings on the Disney Channel when I get home.

We walked outside to the lovely gardens. I loved taking pictures looking into reflections in the dome, but my entertainment was cut short when my ride started to leave without me. My sister Marilyn treated us to a delicious lunch at the Parkshore Grill, a perfect end to a great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

My photo
The first blog was a simple travel journal written during an Alaskan cruise in 2008. I document all of our trips, and refer to my posts fairly frequently, especially when we're planning a return visit to a destination. I enjoy recording events in both words and pictures -- blogging is one more way of staying in touch with family and friends in this wonderful, connected world. I've been retired since April of 2013, and there's no shortage of things to do or activities to enjoy. I enjoy writing about everything ... and nothing.